Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Christmas Week ~ Day 3


Welcome to day three of Christmas Week here at Quilt Kisses.  Today I am sharing the tree skirt I made for my pencil tree in the piano room.  It was made with the Patrick Lose Christmas fabric leftover from my Christmas Swoon I shared yesterday.

I love the look of Dresden tree skirts.  There are many tutorials online, but the ones I saw were all for bigger, fatter, Christmas Trees.  So I decided to figure it out on my own.  I am sharing my steps in case anyone else wants to make a similar one.  I made a template by extending the shape of my Easy Dresden ruler to be twelve inches long using some old scrapbook paper.


Then I taped a paper tree skirt together from more paper pieces made from the template which had the quarter inch seam cut off.


The twelve inches wide was a lucky guess.  It fit my space and my tree perfectly.

Then I used the paper template (which still had seam allowances) and a long ruler to cut out twenty wedges.


I pieced those all together leaving the last seam unsewn.  My paper template and piecing must not have been exact.  However, I knew that tree skirts don't lay flat, so I was okay with that.


I used spray basting to attach the top to some Warm and White batting.  Then cut them out the same size rounding the edge a little.


I put right sides together with some Kona White for the backing and sewed around the edges with a quarter inch seam leaving a straight part open for turning.  I later trimmed the backing even with the edge of the tree skirt and clipped the small circle close to the seam.  Note: I didn't add any ties because I didn't want them.


After it was right side out I quilted in the ditch and an eighth inch from the edge with my walking foot.  Then I put it around my tree using safety pins on the bottom to hold it together.


It ended up fitting my tree absolutely perfectly.  I love it!  Not only does it match the Christmas Swoon, but it also matches the Riley Blake Christmas bunting in the window.


Tomorrow I will be sharing what I made with the rest of the Patrick Lose Christmas fabric.

XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I will be linking up with some of the fun parties on my sidebar.  Check them out to see even more quilty projects.

8 comments:

  1. That was really clever with the paper templates first! Your tree skirt is just perfect for the room and the tree. I was thinking of getting a small pencil tree for the family room as the bigger one is in the living room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so smart! Great idea for a tree skirt. Thanks for sharing how you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a perfect match, Jasmine, and looks beautiful. I'm glad you didn't worry the small gap, it clearly fits wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty Jasmine. Thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty. I see what you mean by a pencil tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet little tree skirt! Thanks for sharing your process (because not everyone has a big fat tree.) Seeing how you put your tree skirt together, I may finally be able to create a custom skirt for our tree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pencil tree and the tree skirt! They look perfect together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this! We bought a new tree this year, on Boxing Day, (the 26th), so got a terrific deal on it. We'd got rid of our previous one because we have only spent a couple Christmases here since 04 and we have just a small tree in FL. Might have to make a new tree skirt for next year, using this idea!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!