Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Christmas Week ~ Day 2


Welcome to day two of Christmas Week here at Quilt Kisses.  My second project is a Christmas Swoon.  A Swoon quilt has been on my bucket list since before I started blogging.  A couple years ago I saw one made up in Christmas colors with only six blocks and have been wanting a Christmas Swoon ever since.  I once heard that the Swoon block was originally called the Star of Bethlehem block, so I think it is very appropriate for the season.

Most of these fabrics are from various Patric Lose Christmas lines paired with Kona White.  The pinwheels you see are the scraps from the stitch and flip corners on the blocks. 


I purchased the pattern, but ended up cutting the blocks out my own way. The red pieces in the blocks below were all cut out at 6.5 inches square instead of smaller squares and rectangles like in the pattern.   I was grateful I had purchased half yard cuts instead of fat quarters.


That made it a lot easier to keep directional prints all going the same way.   


I quilted it on the Bernina Q24 with my favorite spiral quilting design. 


The binding is a cute red stripe and the backing is a holly print. 



I tried taking a picture of the whole quilt outside but it was too windy. 


I took it inside and the colors weren't as bright. 


So I just hung it up by the piano where I wanted it to stay. 


This quilt used 24 inch blocks with four inch pinwheels.  It finishes about 60 by 88 inches. 

I will be back tomorrow to share the matching tree skirt I made with the leftovers. 

XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I will be linking up with some of the parties on my sidebar.  Check them out to see what other quilters are making. 

10 comments:

  1. The swoon blocks looks good in red and green. And it looks great behind the piano!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The binding is really fun, and your quilting adds motion to compliment the additional pinwheels. Lovely finish! I'm glad you have it done to enjoy as decor for so long this season. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm enjoying your Christmas series this week. Another festive finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, I truly love this quilt! I always thought I would make a swoon quilt too, but have not. Very clever to put in those pinwheels too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful Jasmine
    We should bust out some duets on your piano. I bet yours is in tune....

    ReplyDelete
  6. The spot by the piano showcases your Christmas Swoon perfectly. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE your use of Bonus HSTs for the cornerstones in this stunning Christmas Swoon!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pinwheels are a perfect addition! It looks great hanging by the piano :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Jasmine, this turned out fabulous! Great idea to do a Christmas one; I think I will copy you. Tish and I did a mini Swoon QAL two years ago, with plans to do the bigger one (16"? I think blocks) but we still haven't. Adding it to my 2018 list! Love the pinwheels you added too.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!