Friday, March 3, 2017

Blue and Gold: A Finished Quilt


This is the last quilt that I will be able to make almost entirely from my old stash.  It is such a good feeling to be able to say that I have been so successful with my stash busting goal that I am down to one small box of old stash fabrics.  But don't worry, I made up for that by buying a small fat quarter bundle of Kimberbell Basics to add to my new stash fabrics.

My plan all along was to make a plus quilt with eight inch squares.


But once I got it up on my design wall I didn't like the busy prints next to each other.  So I tried a diagonal patchwork layout.  I cut into the scraps of my husband's quilt to keep the busy prints separated.


I liked this layout so much better.  I was able to use the squares which did not make the cut on the back with some of the other scraps.  It worked out great because the six other pieces would not have been wide enough by themselves.


I quilted it on the Bernina Q24 and used an old polyester batting.  There were a few areas where I had  a little problem with the tension.  I'm going to blame that on the batting.  ;)


I decided to try quilting with a large meander to see how it went on the longarm.  It was a lot of fun and was finished before I knew it.


The only thing I had to purchase for this quilt was the binding.  I was able to find a nice slate blue fabric which looks really good with the blues in the quilt.  That is why I had to say it was almost entirely made from the old stash.


I think that simple quilting really is the best on some quilts.



This was a very fast finish.  It took one day to piece the top and back.


 It only took one more day to quilt and bind.  I really do love fast finishes.


Quilt Stats #203
Name:  Blue and Gold
Pattern:  8 inch cut squares on the diagonal
Fabric Used:  From my old stash
Amount Used:  10.5 yards
Batting:  Low loft polyester
Size:  About 60 by 75 inches
Date Finished:  2017


This quilt will be donated somewhere sometime this year.  It feels good to be ahead on my goal for donation quilts this year.

XX,
Jasmine Stephens

P.S.  I will be linking up with some of the fun parties on my sidebar including Oh, Scrap for the scrappy backing.  Check them out for more quilty inspiration.

8 comments:

  1. Love the back of your quilt! Hooray for fast finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you played with the layout on your design wall and were able to find something that appealed to you more and still use up all the blocks. Did you notice if a wash helped with the thread tension at all? Sometimes just giving a quilt its first wash is all that is needed to make smaller tension issues melt away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tans and navy together. This simple patchwork really lets those fabric shine. Hurray for pulling almost everything from your stash!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect layout Jasmine. Well done. You are so good at getting everything together and finishing. One day I will, life is very jumbled right now, but I do try to focus on finishing. This quilt is a treasure

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Jasmine for making it through your older stash. This quilt will make someone happy in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful, I love the colors! I wanted to invite you to link up this post (and any post about charity sewing) to Sew Some Love every Wednesday :)
    http://katandcatquilts.blogspot.com/search/label/sew%20some%20love

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jasmine, the colors in this quilt are just incredible! The blue is so deep and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since I've been away for a while, would you mind telling me about your hanging system? I need a better way to photograph my completed quilts.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!