Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Lap Quilts


I just recently finished another lap quilt.  It represents a big first for me, because it is the first time I did free motion quilting with minky on the back with my Tiara.  It was slow going at first because of the extra bulk, but once I got the hang of it things moved faster.  :)

I am thrilled with how it turned out and have plans for more FMQ with minky backings. 


What can I say?  My family LOVES quilts with minky backings. 


Yes, that is my little Monkey rubbing his face on the minky.  This is what happens every time I lay the quilt on the floor for photographs or to show someone. 

You will be able to see the front of this quilt later in January, but I couldn't resist showing you the back.  :)  This is quilt number 120 for me and it finishes at 57 x 67 inches.  It has 100% cotton fabric on the top, and a Hobbs 80/20 batting. 

My friend Val, over at Val's Quilting Studio is having a link up for lap quilts as part of her Tuesday Archives.  So I thought it would be fun to share my lap quilts here.  I have now made 31 lap quilts which to me range in size from 50 x 60 inches to 60 x 80 inches.  So lap quilts represent 25% of my finished quilts.  The funny thing is that my love of lap quilts is fairly recent (like in the last 2 years).  Over the course of my first 20 years of quilting and making 50 quilts, only one of them was a lap quilt.  And it was just a whole cloth quilt turned quillow to practice free motion quilting.  The rest were wall hangings (23), baby quilts (7), and bed size quilts (19). 


Then once I started quilting more and more in 2013, I made 9 lap quilts.  That is about one third of the quilts I made that year. 


I learned to love lap quilts and realized that they made great gifts for family.  Four of the above quilts were given away. 

So in 2014 I have made 20 lap quilts in addition to the minky one above.  That is half of the quilts I have made this year. 


Four of these quilts are for my boys, one was for me, two were for my home, and the rest have been given away.  I guess you could say that I really love lap quilts now!  Now I need to figure out what kind of lap quilt I want to make with a Solstice layer cake I won in Jennie's giveaway. 

What about you?  Do you love lap quilts? 

XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  If you are interested in learning more about any of these quilts there are links for them on the My Quilts ~ First 100 and My Quilts ~ 101+ pages.

P.P.S.  I will be linking up with Lorna's Let's Bee Social and Val's Tuesday Archives. 

13 comments:

  1. I do love lap quilts! How cool that you went back and looked at the history of your sizes over the years. Lap quilts really do have that perfect snuggle gift factor. And lovely quilting on this finish, too. I think it looks perfect for a good face rub. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them too! I really love your free motion design!! It looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lap and baby size are my favorite quilts to make too, and it sure was fun seeing so many of yours together like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lap quilts are my favourite. You have been very prolific and I love seeing all those projects side by side. I'm very impressed by the quilting at the top of this post. I can't seem to quilt all-over designs evenly like that, so I tend to avoid them. I suppose if I didn't avoid them I'd improve and wouldn't need to avoid them anymore. How's that for a circular argument? One of these days I'll get around to using minky too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That quilting design looks so great - I can't wait to see the front! Most of the quilts I make are lap quilt size. I just finished a larger one and it felt so huge compared to what I'm used to making. Using a Minky back is on my to do list for 2015. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to look back and show us all you've created!! Thanks for sharing at Tuesday Archives. It was fun to have you as our selected highlight this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome projects & great quilting. I love your quote from Pres. Uchtdorf, he is such an inspiration. My kids play "general conference" and "fight" over who gets to be him. BTW, I too have a link party on Mondays (open all week) that I would invite you to share with. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So great to see them all in one place and know that you really are a sewing queen. So impressed with all of your finishes. Such pretty things all in one place:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our family loves lap quilts! Each child has his own and they all come out in the fall for the couch. That is the size I make for ministry quilts too. I shoot for 50 x 60 size when picking a pattern. You made so many nice quilts this year. My favorite, of course, is the whirly pinwheel quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is nothing better than snuggling on the couch tucked under a lap quilt - especially with a minky backing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like couch blankets, but they have to both cover my toes and my shoulders when I'm laying out. Love the quilting you did on the most recent one. I tried making those star\flowery shapes this weekend on a long arm... Yours look much better than mine. ;) Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lap quilts are the perfect size to make and enjoy! I think so, anyway!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!