Friday, January 17, 2014

Two Bonus Finishes


When I basted four quilts on Monday, I wondered how much I would be able to finish this week.  Surprisingly, I finished all four.  The first two, completely from my stash, I posted about here.  These two I call bonus finishes, because I did not piece the top.  I still have a few of my sister-in-law's quilt tops.  I decided to finish two of them this month, because they could use up some of my blue stash (inherited from her).  So I did the quilting and the binding on these two quilts. 


This first quilt, I call "Bit of Heaven."  I call it that because of the name of the backing fabric. 


I quilted it with a loopy line...


Because my sister-in-law once quilted a quilt for me like that.  I just realized that my Crazy Scrappy Star is the same pattern as "Bit of Heaven."  We took a class from Sharyn Craig together on the Northern Wind.  How interesting that she quilted mine, and I quilted hers. 


I bound this quilt in a small blue gingham print.  It really gives it a nice frame. 


Here it is again. 


It is so interesting to me how much the quilting shows in this picture. 

Quilt Stats #82
Name:  Bit of Heaven
Pattern:  Northern Wind Variation by Sharyn Craig
Pieced by:  JoAnn
Finished by:  Me :)
For:  One of her three boys
Fabric:  Backing and binding are blues from my stash
Amount used:  2.5 yards*
Batting:  Warm and White
Size:  about 36 x 36 inches
Date finished: January 2014
What I learned:
  • I like narrower bindings on smaller quilts.  (I wish I had cut it 2.25 inches wide.)
  • I love white batting for quilts with white backgrounds. 


This second quilt I call "Warm Winter Mittens,"  because that is what my sister-in-law always called it.  I know that she collected fabric for this quilt for a long time.  There are only two matching pairs. 

I just quilted in the ditch around the mittens to keep it simple.


The quilting looks neat on the back, which is a blue with cream dots.  I think it looks like it is snowing.  You can also see the hanging sleeve I sewed on in this picture.  I used the same fabric as the backing so it would blend in. 



This quilt was kept in her basement for awhile, and I know she had a problem with mice.  There was a large hole in the corner, so I added a patch which matches the backing. 



Here it is again...


My camera has a "snow" setting, and I love how the colors pop against the snow. 

Quilt Stats #83
Name:  Warm Winter Mittens
Pattern:  An old one from a LQS
Pieced by:  JoAnn
Finished by:  Me
For: One of her three boys
Fabric:  Backing and binding are blues from my stash
Amount used: 3 yards*
Batting:  Warm and Natural
Size:  about 37 x 46 inches
Date finished:  January 2014
What I learned:
  • Sometimes quilts have to be patched.
  • I like stiffer batting in wall hangings.
*I calculated the yardage for the top as the same as what I used for the back on these two quilts, because I did not piece them.  I treated it like quilting whole cloth quilts.  ;)

I am excited to have these done, and will give them to one of my nephews when I feel the time is right.  I will also be adding labels to these.  Because of the personal nature, I took pictures before sewing them on. 

I also finished another small wall hanging which I will share after someone's birthday.  ;)  So that just brings me to one work in progress.  I am excited to finish this Reverse Star quilt.  Then I will move on to another color! 


Have a great weekend!

XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I am linking up with Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts. 

6 comments:

  1. WOW! You have had a very productive week! And they all look great - your quilting is wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your completed quilts now you can breathe easy! ;) Love love the blue and yellow one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are both beautiful. I especially love Bit of Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all these quilts! The mitten one is really fun :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh - Love your Bit of Heaven quilt! It;s a great color combo. And you photo againt the snow!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mitten quilt is super cute! I also love the star block with the blue background, simple but beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!