Monday, December 2, 2013

Procrastinating

Do you ever find yourself procrastinating starting your next project, or moving on to the next step in the project?  I do.  I finished these table runners, and went to buy more fabric.  I also bought this pattern. It is called "All That Glitters" and uses the Starry Night fabric. However, my quilt shop only had the panel in red, so I decided to do things differently. I was a little worried about how it would turn out with the color change, so I let it sit for a few days...



Then, once I started cutting things out I switched my plans again.   I decided I didn't want to have lots of pieced stars in the border.  It became too busy with the red center panel.  Switching this up, also made the quilt smaller.  (So I didn't have to piece my backing.)

This is what it looked like on my design wall. 



I thought it needed a little bit more, so I decided to add pieced blocks in the corners.  I didn't want to use the star blocks in the pattern, so I designed my own.  These stars finish at 7.5 inches.  I thought about making them wonky, but decided against it.  I love how they float in the green.  (It will also make binding the quilt easier.)



This is what they looked like when I tested them on my design wall. 



I liked it a lot better, but I decided to double check to make sure I didn't want to use the snowflake part of the panel (like in the pattern). 



I didn't.  It seemed to make it too tall.  I will just save them for a table runner.  :-) I sewed the borders on and finished my quilt top. 


I love it!  I love that I was able to keep it sweet, simple, & extra special.  It now finishes at 41 by 52 inches.  (The pattern finished at 45 by 65 inches.)  The smaller size fits my wall better, and leaves lots of fabric left over... like 3.5 yards extra.  The only problem is it is mostly green.  I may have to go buy some more red to balance it out...  :o)  Have I mentioned that I LOVE seasonal quilts and table runners? 

Now I just have to figure out how to quilt it.  Then I have to find the time amidst all of the rest of the stuff I have to do before Christmas:  Christmas cards, neighbor gifts, pictures scrapbooked for grandparents, more shopping... Sadly, it may be a week or more before I can get to it.  It is not as much of a priority because it is for my home.  I will just enjoy it up on my design wall for now. 

XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I am linking up with Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah you have lots of stuff to do much like myself lol I think I would add a red border too;) It is very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!