Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Remembering the Year 2006

I started out the year working on cabin quilts for my mom.  I pieced and quilted a twin size Log Cabin, a twin size Courthouse Steps, and a Pine Cone throw. 

Then there was so much fabric left over I made a twin Courthouse Steps for my hubby.  I had hoped to keep this a surprise, but Cheetah told Daddy that Mommy was  making a quilt for him for his birthday!  I wanted it to be a quilt he would wrap himself up in, but he just keeps it on our guest bed in what used to be the office. 




I also made this valence with the leftover border print from the king size Buzz Saw. 



I continued working on the Thimbleberries Cover Story quilts.  I even designed four of my own, because I wanted to have a quilt for every month.  This year I finished the January, March, April, May, June, and July quilts.  I made two of each one for my mom and one for me. 

I also tried out the Turning Twenty pattern, because I had a stack of twenty beautiful fat quarters in my stash.  This has become a family favorite pattern.  My mom uses it when teaching her teenage granddaughters to make their first quilt. 



Then I started a quilting group at church.  I thought that it would be fun to start out with table runners because they are small and more manageable for beginners.  JoAnn had made this table runner for me, and I used it and her notes to make a pattern for the women to use. 



Then I made this valentine table runner to show an example of free motion quilting.  I quilted it with a loopy line and included hearts. 

I had more than five women in the Relief Society decide to make a runner and we had a lot of fun together.  I made this blue and yellow runner for my sister as an example while teaching the class.  She took it with her when she moved to China for a couple years. 


This really started my love of table runners and this simple pattern I wrote up.  I realized that table runners made great gifts.  They are not as expensive as quilts only using one and a half yards of fabric and a batting scrap.  I can make one start to finish in about three hours (including sewing the binding on by hand). 

All in all, it was a great year. 

XX,
Jasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!