Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Grandma Mildred's Quilts

Animal Babies Quilt
 

My Grandma Mildred did a lot of textile painting. She made many sets of blocks for baby quilts. I was given this set of blocks and made them into this quilt. It is machine pieced and hand quilted. Because she painted the cute animals on a cotton/poly blend I decided to use a cotton/poly blend to make the quilt.  My grandma had bolts of solids in her closet, and she gave me this pink fabric.




My favorite block is this little kitty...




because it reminds me of this quilt she made for me when I was little. 




When I brought it to show her the finished quilt she was so happy. She said that she had an activity to go to where she needed to bring something which represented her. She asked if she could borrow it and promised to take good care of it.  



She died one year later and I treasure this picture of the two of us with this quilt. 

Quilt Stats #3
Name:  Animal Babies
Blocks painted by: Grandma Mildred
Size:  about 40 x 40 inches
Batting: low loft 100% polyester
Date finished: 1998
What I learned:
  • I don't like sewing and quilting with cotton/poly blend fabrics.

Oh, Baby
 
I also finished this quilt using blocks painted by my Grandma Mildred. I pieced the blocks together with one inch sashing and added a border.

 
 
Then I hand quilted it.
 
 


Finishing this quilt helped me feel close to my grandma again.  

Quilt Stats  #8
Name: Oh, Baby
Blocks painted by: Grandma Mildred
Size: about 33 x 42 inches
Batting:  Hobbs 80/20
Date Finished: 2002


Silly Bears
 
This is another quilt I finished using my Grandma Mildred's blocks.   I pieced the blocks together with one inch sashing and added a border. 




I hand quilted it, and used a bias binding.  I love the looks of plaid on the bias. 




I had one extra block, so I used it for the label on the back. 



Quilt Stats #56
Name: Silly Bears
Blocks painted by: Grandma Mildred
Size: about 37 x 37 inches
Batting:  Hobbs 80/20
Date finished: 2013

I also finished two other baby quilts for my brothers using her blocks.  I loved working on them.  I thought of my grandma as I took each stitch.  Now, I love to look at these quilts and remember my Grandma Mildred.  I hope that they will be treasured by my children as well. 

XX,
Jasmine

3 comments:

  1. How very talented your grandma was!! The sentence under the picture of the two of you really choked me up. You did your grandma proud! I can't believe no one has ever commented on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasure to be able to put your grandma's blocks into such adorable quilts! I agree with Kathy - you most definitely did your grandma proud!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jasmine...this is my favorite post read today!!! I mean this is why we quilt... thank you for sharing these precious works of art and memories...my heart just smiled!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!